Out Of State Surgery

We drove out of Massachusetts and Master Pravus told me we were in Connecticut. Then he told me we were in New York.

“We’re doing it?”

“We’re doing it,” he told me.

I couldn’t even believe it was happening. I mean. How were we there? Two states away in another place seeking the help of another surgeon? How? I. Everyone stand back. I’m figuring shit out. Somehow. I really am!

On top of that, I had a wretched night before. I hadn’t been sure I would make it. Master Pravus and me had tried seven times to access my port and we had no success. My port was bruised and it looked like meat. It was bad. I was dehydrated and the thought of sitting upright in a car for six hours plus (total, not like, each way) just to get to the hospital and back didn’t sound like a thing I could do. But I thought about it and Master Pravus and me were worried that if I missed this appointment they would put me to the back of the line. If they put me to the back of the line I might need to wait weeks or months to get my stimulator changed out and if that happened I didn’t want to think about how long I would need to sit around nauseated. And, as pessimistic as this sounds I figured: fuck it! If I passed out while we were out I was already at a hospital. So. I took a dose of my steroid (the one I take to raise my blood pressure), crossed my fingers, and just… Hoped I would make it through the day. My blood pressure was a little low from not having fluids for two days, and I was lightheaded… But I managed not to faint. Huzzah!

The doctor himself was surprised no one was closer, but honestly I don’t blame him. There’s ten doctors in New York who can do the procedure. TEN. And only one in Massachusetts. And he wound up being the best guy (closest.) There were a few others similar distance to this guy, but they wanted me to wait six weeks to even see them. But there wasn’t a reason to wait like that when this guy could see me immediately. He was incredibly concerned with my wellbeing before and after, had a lot of knowledge not just about the Enterra device, but gastroparesis in general and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome! We were so impressed.

He didn’t really want me taking a three hour trip immediately from the hospital after my surgery and was hoping I was gonna stay local for a few days, so he’s considering keeping me extra if that’s the way it gotta be. And I hope that I’m not in so much pain that they’re really in need of keeping me. “Don’t you have friends here?” No pal. >.< Why do surgeons always seem to think that like, a neighbor will pack a wound or change your gauze? Just send me home, I swear to gawd I can handle it. As Master Pravus says: I’m tougher than I look. “Mew,” says Kitty soft.

So. It’s gonna be at the end of April, and that’s so long as everything goes well with my hernia. He said if anything goes wrong, or is just taking a while, or I’m not healed enough yet to let him know and they’ll push my surgery off a little. Cool, cool. They don’t keep Enterra devices around in the hospital. They’re exquisitely expensive, and a representative from the company comes by the night before with your device, and then they babysit it through your surgery, and then they stay in your operating theatre with you until it’s activated. It’s kind of neat to think about how heavily they’re guarded. Heh.

This is the first time that they’re going to replace my device! I’ve only ever had the install. It’s supposed to be easier since the install included the initial wiring. I just am so excited for this. Why? Because after I get this done: I think that’s the last “maintenance” surgery I’m in need of. My hernia will be fixed. My port will be set. My device done. I should be able to do things when it heals. I’ll be done! Done! I’m ready to be done. Still fighting to stabilize other things, but with less invasive methods. I’m ready for that. So ready.

I’m doing it!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.